Dan Simmonds, Managing Principal Harwood Andrews, Ballarat Business Lawyer
Dan Simmonds is the Managing Principal of the Lantern Legal Group, comprising the legal firms Harwood Andrews in Geelong and Ballarat and Sladen Legal in Melbourne.
Dan is accredited by the Law Institute of Victoria as a specialist in business law, and by Family Business Australia as a Family Business Advisor.
He is a strong advocate for innovation and growth, working closely with business owners to understand and achieve their desired commercial objectives. His strong knowledge of commercial law and commitment to understanding his clients’ needs helps deliver strong results across a range of industries.
Dan assists accountants on the advice they provide their clients’ in relation to business structures, business succession and business strategies. He is particularly involved in advising family businesses on their growth and succession issues, providing independent advice and solutions on matters such as family constitutions, unit holder and shareholder agreements.
Dan became chairman of partners of Harwood Andrews in 1994, and in 2007 became the firm’s Managing Principal. In 2010 he was awarded a Law Institute of Victoria (LIV) President’s Award. He received the LIV General Award in recognition of excellence and outstanding contribution within the legal profession.
He is a committee member of the Deakin University School of Law Academic Advisory Board and a member of the University Vice Chancellor’s Community Leaders Group.
Dan’s specialties include:
- Succession for business owners including Wills
- Succession for businesses including family business; encompassing equity participant agreements, disputes, structuring for investments or acquisitions
- Mergers & acquisitions including preparing for sale and coordinating sale process
- Family business consulting including family meetings and constitutions
- Business contracts
- Not for profit
Dan’s professional commitments include:
- Chairman of the judging panel of the Geelong Business Excellence Awards
- Member of the Salvation Army Geelong Region Area Advisory Committee
- Member of the Geelong Chamber of Commerce Reducing Business Barriers Committee
- Board member of Kardinia Health Ltd
- Member Deakin University School of Law Academic Advisory Board
- Chairman of the Committee for Geelong
- Director of Geelong Community Foundation Limited
- Member of St Laurence Community Services Inc
- Director Ace Radio Broadcasters Pty Ltd
- Geelong committee – Australian Institute of Company Directors
Download a PDF version of Dan Simmonds' Professional Profile